Our History

It was the year 1888, our founder, W.A. “Billy” Hoy, cherished his horses and used them to move everything from chicken coops and coal, to pianos and furniture. Hoy Transfer was born.

Billy became the local moving man after learning Penn State would require him to take a public speaking course. The shy and reserved Billy Hoy made the decision to forgo college and pursue his interest in the moving business.

Though Billy preferred horses, he started driving his first moving truck in 1912. He even operated the local hearse and hauled the Penn State Nittany Lions football equipment. Hoy Transfer proudly carries on this tradition with Penn State today.

        After Billy’s death, his daughter Mary Kathryn Hoy, took over the family business and operated it alone for ten years. In 1947 Mary’s son Dick returned home from the Army with intentions of attending Penn State. But Dick followed in his grandfather’s footsteps and became deeply involved with the family business.

         After purchasing some new trucks, Dick signed an agreement with Clipper Van Lines. Later, in 1950 Hoy Transfer contracted with North American Van Lines and represented the Centre Region. In 1957, Hoy Transfer moved from its downtown location to a new site on North Atherton Street in State College. Hoy Transfer is presently located at 2580 Clyde Avenue in State College, Pennsylvania.

 In January of 1996 Hoy Transfer Inc. was sold to company veteran R. Kevin Briscoe. Kevin has been a part of the Hoy Transfer family since 1985 and firmly believes in the integrity that has been a foundation of the company since its beginning. 

In 2008, Hoy Transfer became a proud agent of Atlas Van Lines.